Wednesday 6 August 2008

Weegees and Luvvies

7 shows done and 17 to go!

I heard a local man talking about weegees and luvvies yesterday. I wasn't quite sure what weegees were... I thought maybe those things that window cleaners and carwash attendants use to wipe glass surfaces dry. Or that board that people use to channel the devil. And luvvies, well: they're older folk who've been in the Theatre Industry for a long time aren't they? A bit wooly but really quite sweet if a bit tiresome.

Well, I was wrong on both counts.

A weegee is someone from Glasgow. And apparently there's a bit of sibbling rivalry between the two. With Edinburgh coming out on top (if you're in Edinburgh). The luvvies are all the folks who perform or are somehow involved in the Festival and who flood this town every August. Block up their roads. Slow everything down. Drown the city and its citizens in mostly badly designed flyers. We're the bad cholesterol... that comes from overprocessed transfatty acids. We're the junk food of Culture. Yikes!!!

Well, I'm not a Weegee! And I don't think I'm a luvvie either. I don't clog anyones arteries (my diet is too healthy for that). I don't litter (I'm too OCD for that). I don't take up too much space (see diet).

Actually, he was quite a sweet man and he even offered me a lift home (it sounds seedy but it wasn't... we'd been introduced and all that and it was late and very cold.)

Question for today: who remembers the fridge scene from 9 1/2 weeks with Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke... and who's ever tried to replicate it?

No comments: